What is one food guide serving?
Look at the examples below:
Oils and Fats
- Include a small amount â€“ 30 to 45 mL (2 to 3 Tbsp) â€“ of unsaturated fat each day. This includes oil
- used for cooking, salad dressings, margarine and mayonnaise.
- Use vegetable oils such as canola, olive and soybean.
- Choose soft margarines that are low in saturated and trans fats.
- Limit butter, hard margarine, lard and shortening.
Enjoy a variety of foods from the four foods groups
Satisfy your thirst with water
Drink water regularly. It’s a calorie-free way to quench your thirst. Drink more water in hot weather or when you are very active.
How do I count food guide servings in a meal?
Vegetable and beef stir-fry with rice, a glass of milk and an apple for dessert
250 mL (1 cup) mixed broccoli,
carrot and sweet red pepper
2 Vegetables and Fruit Food Guide Servings
75 g (2 1/2oz.) lean beef
1 Meat and Alternatives Food Guide Serving
250 mL (1 cup) brown rice
2 Grain Products Food Guide Servings
5mL (1 tsp) canola oil
part of your Oils and Fats intake for the day
250 mL (1 cup) 1% milk
1 Milk and Alternatives Food Guide Serving
1 Vegetables and Fruit Food Guide Serving
Advice for different ages and stages
- Following Canada’s Food Guide helps children grow and thrive.
- Young children have small appetites and need calories for growth and development
- Serve small nutritious meals and snacks each day.
- Don not restrict nutritious foods kamagra review because of their fat content. Offer a variety of foods from the four food groups
- Most of all… be a good role model
Women of childbearing age
- All women who could become pregnant and those who are pregnant or breastfeeding need a multivitamin containing folic acid every day.
- Pregnant women need to ensure that their multivitamin also contains iron.
- A health care professional can help youfind the multivitamin thatâ€™s right for you.
- Pregnant and breastfeeding women need more calories. Include an extra 2 to 3 Food Guide Servings each day.
Here are two examples:
- Have fruit and yogurt for a snack, or
- Have an extra slice of toast at breakfast and an extra glass of milk at supper
Men and women over 50
- The need for vitamin D increases after the age of 50.
- In addition to following Canadaâ€™s Food Guide, everyone over the age of 50 should take a daily vitamin D supplement of 10 Âµg (400 IU).
Source: HEALTH CANADA